Posts for tag: cosmetic dentistry
When considering “smile makeover” options, it’s easy to focus on whitening, veneers or implants — techniques and materials focused mainly on the teeth and gums. But if you don’t also consider the bigger picture of how your upper and lower teeth come together to form your bite, these efforts may be a lot like picking out paint colors for a house with foundation problems.
That’s why orthodontics, the dental specialty concerned with the bite, could be a consideration in your smile makeover plan. Moving teeth into better positions not only improves your teeth’s function and health it could also help facilitate any cosmetic changes that follow.
The first step, of course, is to visit an orthodontist, a dentist with advanced training and experience in tooth alignment and function, for a comprehensive evaluation. Orthodontists are also knowledgeable in the growth and development of the bite, and so can develop a treatment approach that reflects the patient’s needs, whether a child or adult.
Treatments vary, depending on your particular needs. Fixed appliances like metal or clear braces that can’t be removed by the patient are the standard treatment for most malocclusions (bad bites). Clear aligners, removable trays that fit over the teeth with programmed incremental movements of the teeth, find the greatest application with adults. Orthodontists may also use specialized appliances, like temporary anchorage devices (TADs), which work to isolate teeth that need to be moved from those that don’t.
In comprehensive makeovers, orthodontists will work with a team of other dentists and specialists, including periodontists (specializing in the gums, bone and other supporting structures of the teeth) and oral surgeons. In these cases, orthodontic treatment may occur before or after other treatments with the overall goal of producing a beautiful, transformed smile.
If you would like more information on how orthodontics can transform your smile, please contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can also learn more about this topic by reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “The Magic of Orthodontics: The Original Smile Makeover.”
A beautiful smile is something most people want. We want to look picture perfect for all those special moments in life. Dr. Carl Tegtmeier, your Mount Kisco, NY, cosmetic dentist, can help.
Cosmetic dentistry isn't just about aesthetic appeal. Some cosmetic procedures are reconstructive. Here are a few procedures you may want to consider to improve your smile:
- Dental Implants: Are you suffering from tooth loss? Dental implants are titanium posts that replace tooth roots. Your doctor places an abutment and a crown matching the rest of your teeth. This procedure both aesthetic and restorative. It strengthens your teeth and improves your smile.
- Veneers: These procedures resurface an individual's teeth. Veneers cover teeth that are stained or discolored due to poor hygiene, drinking coffee or tea, smoking, chewing tobacco, or certain antibiotics containing tetracycline. Veneers can also fix crooked, chipped, or irregularly shaped teeth.
- Dental Bonding: This procedure uses composite resin to cover the surfaces of your teeth for a whiter smile. The advantage of dental bonding is it can be done in one sitting in a few minutes.
- Teeth Whitening: Do you have yellow and/or stained teeth? Part of the reason our teeth become discolored is aging. Some other reasons include smoking, chewing tobacco, drinking coffee and/or tea, and eating certain foods like blueberries. Your Mount Kisco doctor provides in-office or over-the-counter kits, whichever is more convenient for you.
Cosmetic Dentistry Care:
To take proper care of your new cosmetic dental procedure(s), make sure you brush your teeth twice a day and floss once before bed, at the very least. Use fluoride-containing products and avoid sugar-containing food.
A smile makeover is worth your time and consideration! If you have any questions or concerns regarding any cosmetic procedures, call your Mount Kisco, NY, dentist, Dr. Carl Tegtmeier, at (914) 241-2069!
Do You Need Dental Implants?
There are several restorative procedures that can help rejuvenate and strengthen your smile, but dental implants are the best. If you're interested, Dr. Carl Tegtmeier can provide dental implants in Mount Kisco, NY.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Dental implants are one of many restorative procedures, like dentures and bridges. Dental implants consist of several parts:
- A titanium post inserted into the jawbone
- A screw that secures an abutment
- A crown matching the rest of your teeth
Your Mount Kisco dentist surgically inserts a titanium post into your jaws to replace your missing tooth root. It provides stability and strength while preventing any weakening or shrinkage of the jawbone. After inserting the titanium post, the dentist seals your gums and allows 3 to 6 months for osseointegration (connection) to occur. Following this period, your dentist re-opens the area above the titanium post, inserts a screw, places an abutment above the screw and secures a crown on top that matches the rest of your teeth.
The Advantages to Dental Implants:
- They restore bite and chewing function
- They restore cracks, chips, or fractures one tooth, a few teeth or all of your teeth
- Dental implants don't move while you're eating or speaking
- Dental implants can last a lifetime
- They fill gaps to give you a wider, fuller smile
Preserving Your Implants:
You need to take proper care of your dental implants. Here are some things preventative measures:
- Receiving fluoride treatment and using fluoride-containing products like toothpaste and mouthwash
- Avoiding tobacco, smoking, and drinking too much coffee and tea
- Drinking fluoride-containing water, to prevent issues like gum disease and tooth decay
- Getting professional dental cleanings and checkups every six months to remove hardened plaque
- Flossing at least once before bed
- Brushing your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day, while holding the brush at a 40-degree angle
If you have more questions or concerns about dental implants, call your Dr. Carl Tegtmeier's office in Mount Kisco, NY, at (914) 241-2069.
A house makeover. A hair makeover. A wardrobe makeover. Do you daydream about them? No, for you, the ideal transformation is a smile makeover, and Dr. Carl Tegtmeier can help you achieve it. His cosmetic dentistry services in Mount Kisco, NY change less than perfect teeth into winning smiles.
Where do you start?
The best renewed smiles begin with a plan. Start your smile makeover by deciding how you want your teeth and gums to improve. Are your teeth crooked or gapped? Would you like to brighten your tooth color? Could your two front teeth be evened in length?
With your ideas in mind, talk to Dr. Tegtmeier about them. He'll examine your teeth and gums, take X-rays and tell you what aesthetic services could create your ideal look.
What are those cosmetic services?
Dr. Tegtmeier and his team offer many different aesthetic treatments--from simple to complex. But, before you decide on them, you and your cosmetic dentist in Mount Kisco will agree on a realistic care plan. In other words, you'll choose the services to fit your timeline, budget and desired outcomes.
Here are some of the treatments Dr. Tegtmeier offers:
- Cosmetic resin bonding Using a tooth-colored blend of glass and acrylic, your dentist remakes teeth marred by chips, cracks, small gaps, and other minor defects. These repairs last for years and look natural.
- Porcelain veneers Customized shells of realistic ceramic, veneers cover the front of teeth which have deep stains, pits, crowding, uneven shape, and more.
- Tooth-colored fillings repair tooth decay with natural-looking composite resin. These restorations require less enamel preparation than amalgam fillings.
- Professional teeth whitening is the most popular aesthetic treatment, says the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. Powerful hydrogen peroxide gel removes stains at home or at the dental office, improving color dramatically.
- Invisalign clear aligners Dr. Tegtmeier offers short-term orthodontic treatment with these invisible acrylic appliances. A great alternative to metal braces, Invisalign aligners are removable, comfortable and easy to clean.
- Dental implants, dentures, bridges These tooth replacements fill smile gaps, giving patients more natural oral function and youthful facial appearance.
- Porcelain crowns These tooth-shaped caps cover and protect remaining healthy structure when a tooth has been damaged by decay, oral trauma, or abscess. Crowns also restore dental implants.
What can we do for you?
Dr. Tegtmeier and his team are committed to delivering your best smile--one you'll just love. Why not contact the office for a cosmetic dentistry consultation in Mount Kisco, NY? Phone (914) 241-2069.
Your Mount Kisco, NY, cosmetic dentist has a solution for discolored teeth. He provides teeth whitening solutions that can make your smile three to eight times brighter.
The in-office teeth whitening your doctor uses is a safer and faster route than the over-the-counter kits. Your Mount Kisco dentist will first examine your teeth to make sure you don't have any serious issues, like cavities. He will then place a retractor in your mouth, which will keep your cheeks and lips away from the whitening gel used. The gel contains a high concentration of bleaching material and professional-strength hydrogen peroxide gel that should only be handled by a professional equipped and experienced at using it. The gel is then applied and left on your teeth for about an hour, then removed.
Another way to help your smile is to use a take-home whitening kit from your doctor's office. Your doctor will make a mold of your teeth to design a custom-made mouth tray that can fit over your top and bottom teeth. You simply fill the plastic trays with gel, place them over your teeth and wait for about an hour. You may have to repeat this process several times depending on the shade you want.
Teeth whitening is a great option to improve that gorgeous smile you already have, but taking care of your teeth is just as important. There are a few tips you can follow to ensure you keep your white smile.
- Make sure to reduce and avoid unhealthy habits, like drinking coffee or tea.
- Quit smoking and chewing tobacco; they stain your teeth and cause oral diseases.
- Maintaining a healthy oral regimen, like brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing at least once will keep your teeth looking white and healthy.
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment just call your Mount Kisco, NY, dentist today!