Do You Need Dental Implants?
There are several restorative procedures that can help rejuvenate and strengthen your smile, but dental implants are the best. If you're interested, Dr. Carl Tegtmeier can provide dental implants in Mount Kisco, NY.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Dental implants are one of many restorative procedures, like dentures and bridges. Dental implants consist of several parts:
- A titanium post inserted into the jawbone
- A screw that secures an abutment
- A crown matching the rest of your teeth
Your Mount Kisco dentist surgically inserts a titanium post into your jaws to replace your missing tooth root. It provides stability and strength while preventing any weakening or shrinkage of the jawbone. After inserting the titanium post, the dentist seals your gums and allows 3 to 6 months for osseointegration (connection) to occur. Following this period, your dentist re-opens the area above the titanium post, inserts a screw, places an abutment above the screw and secures a crown on top that matches the rest of your teeth.
The Advantages to Dental Implants:
- They restore bite and chewing function
- They restore cracks, chips, or fractures one tooth, a few teeth or all of your teeth
- Dental implants don't move while you're eating or speaking
- Dental implants can last a lifetime
- They fill gaps to give you a wider, fuller smile
Preserving Your Implants:
You need to take proper care of your dental implants. Here are some things preventative measures:
- Receiving fluoride treatment and using fluoride-containing products like toothpaste and mouthwash
- Avoiding tobacco, smoking, and drinking too much coffee and tea
- Drinking fluoride-containing water, to prevent issues like gum disease and tooth decay
- Getting professional dental cleanings and checkups every six months to remove hardened plaque
- Flossing at least once before bed
- Brushing your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day, while holding the brush at a 40-degree angle
If you have more questions or concerns about dental implants, call your Dr. Carl Tegtmeier's office in Mount Kisco, NY, at (914) 241-2069.